If you’re healthy overall, or if you already visit specialists for different medical conditions, you might not have a primary care provider (PCP). And while passing up primary care – and skipping your annual physical – might seem like it saves time and makes life easier, it can actually lead to stress, confusion and complications over time. But your PCP can actually help you avoid all that. Here are three big reasons to get to know them (and schedule that annual physical you’ve been putting off).
1. They help ensure your health stays on track.
Your PCP (doctor, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant) is your go-to person for most non-emergency medical issues, and the one to check in with annually for your physical to identify potential problems before they start.
2. They can provide tailored health advice.
By getting to know you on a personal level and understanding the overall picture of your health, your PCP can offer personalized guidance on how to:
- Fit exercise or physical therapy into your busy schedule
- Stick with your treatments and medications
- Follow a healthy diet
- Keep track of important numbers like your blood pressure or blood sugar, to help you avoid related complications
3. They – along with Sharecare – help keep your care organized.
As your “healthcare home base,” your PCP may communicate with specialists to ensure each member of your team is on the same page. Because they have a “big picture” view of your health, your PCP can help you make smart, individualized decisions about your care. And once you sign up for the Be Well SHBP program and complete your RealAge Test, Sharecare can help you and your doctor keep all your health in one place.
Don’t skip your screening. Contact your PCP today (or choose one if you haven’t already) and schedule your annual exam.